Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Social Issues of interest

A few social issues I find interesting and perhaps worth delving into further are childhood obesity, gambling and euthanasia.

Childhood obesity is an issue which is severely crippling the lives of many children and adults all over the United States. I am originally from Houston, Texas, the former "Fattest city in America" and have seen how rampant childhood obesity is. It is an entirely preventable disease and needs to be solved before too many of our children die young.

Excessive gambling is an issue which I find to be an interesting problem to tackle. I was at one time somewhat addicted to playing poker and spent more time playing cards then I did spending time in class. I have grown out of that phase of my life but I still clearly remember how detrimental the addiction was. I'd be interested in finding ways to help counteract the desire to excessively gamble.

Euthanasia is a social issue which is something I am just interested in further researching. I do not know how I could tackle the issue of euthanasia and am not sure which side of the fence I rest. I became interested in the topic after hearing that the first legal assisted suicide had taken place and wondered how this issue can be discussed. I feel that this issue would best be undertaken with a focus on discursive design and producing an object or scenario which encourages debate and discussion on the topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment